- 1 -Though I realize you're hardly inclined to take tips from my kitchen after I outed myself as a maker of flaxseed pancakes, I'll give you something more palatable: banana blueberry baked oatmeal. I've been making this recipe for a while now, and we love it. It is the number one Google search for "baked oatmeal" because I'm all kinds of original. When I make it, I up the salt to a scant teaspoon, I cut the cinnamon in half, I use half coconut milk and half water, and I skip the sugar because the bananas make it pretty sweet.
Jacob recently admitted to liking this baked oatmeal recipe better (ahem...the #2 Google hit for "baked oatmeal.") It's a southern staple. And it is very good. But it's basically like eating a cookie for breakfast.
To which he would respond: "Exactly."
- 2 -Katrina of Cedars and Tiny Flowers called for kale recipes, and since she's basically the sweetest thing to hit the blogosphere, who can say no to her?? (She also has a Blog2Print giveaway running for like two more hours or something but you should still totally put in for it!)
So, kale. I've spent half of my adult life trying to find the best dressing for kale salad. Kale is tough for salads. Even when it's pretty tender, it's tough. I've massaged and marinated, even blanched and sauteed, and was never pleased and often left eating my cold wilted effort by myself after Jacob turned his nose up at it. But a few months ago an old family friend e-mailed me a link to what has proven to be THE BEST kale salad I've ever tried (Thanks, Joanie!!) So how does one get light and crunchy kale leaves in her salad? VOILA.
Try it and then come back and thank me.
- 3 -My friend Blythe is posting again after a I don't know how many years. You should definitely visit. She's basically my favorite. Ever.
- 4 -I'm trying to figure out how to post on the blog more regularly. Posts are five times easier to write if I have any pictures from our real camera to go with them. My iPhone pics don't inspire me because my camera skills are nonexistent. My husband's camera has an awesome lens, and it helps me fake my way into decent pictures. I intend to learn more about using his camera someday, but until then I'm just going to be intimidated whenever anyone starts using technical language like "shutter speed" or "aperture."
- 5 -We've put Jake on a fast from our devices in honor of the season, and driving in the car today, he told his father he needed a special "Lent iPad."
Parents of the year.
- 6 -Jacob has been working super hard. He took off March 2nd for the baby's baptism, and we calculated that it was his first full day off since January 1st. His next day off will be in late March and after that things should settle down. We're grateful for the work, but Lordy, has it been busy. The other day he was home with enough time to embark on some handyman project in the house and asked: "What house project is most time sensitive that I get to? Do you want me to put the shelves in our closet or do you want me to finish my workbench?"
- 7 -When Jacob was proofreading my post about Lucy June's baptism (specifically the escaped toddler part) to check for typos, he said: "What about the error of your entire perspective on the situation?"
Start your own blog, babe.